Family Sponsorship

Canada is a country that values family reunification and allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their family members for permanent residency. 

Your obligations as a sponsor

As a sponsor,

  • You must provide financial support to your sponsored family member for three to ten years, depending on their age and relationship with you. This support includes necessities such as food, shelter, and clothing.
  • You are also responsible for ensuring that your sponsored family member does not require social assistance from the government during this period.
  • You must also provide your sponsored family member with emotional and social support.

Are you Eligible to sponsor your family member?

The eligibility requirements to be a sponsor is as follows.

  • The sponsored family member must be a spouse or common-law partner, dependent child, parent, grandparent, sibling, niece/nephew, or grandchild of the Canadian citizen or permanent resident sponsor.
  • The sponsor must also meet specific eligibility criteria, such as being at least 18 years of age,
  • Residing in Canada
  • Not being in default of any immigration loans or commitments.
  • Additionally, the sponsor must demonstrate that they have the financial means to support their sponsored family member and are not receiving social assistance.

Sponsor your other relatives

Canada also allows individuals to sponsor other relatives such as siblings, nieces or nephews, cousins, and grandparents. However, this type of sponsorship is only possible in exceptional circumstances and is subject to certain restrictions. For example, the sponsored relative must be under 18 years old and not have any living parents.

What would be the processing time? 

The processing time can vary depending on various factors, such as

  • The type of relationship between the sponsor and sponsored family member,
  • The country of origin of the sponsored person,
  • And the completeness of the application.

Sponsoring if you live outside of Canada

The process is slightly different if you live outside Canada and want to sponsor a family member. You’ll need to meet specific eligibility requirements, such as being a citizen of Canada or a Canadian permanent resident, having sufficient income to support your sponsored family member, and demonstrating that your relationship with them is genuine.

If you are considering sponsoring a family member. In that case, it is recommended that you seek professional help from an immigration lawyer or consultant to understand the process and your obligations as a sponsor.

The major Sponsorship Programs are as follows


Sponsor your spouse/partner to become a permanent resident of Canada.

Parents/Grand Parents

Sponsor your Parent/grandparent to become a permanent resident of Canada.