Frequently Asked Questions

  • Once I am in Canada as a student, how can I apply for PR?

    Once your studies in Canada are, several pathways are available to help you gain permanent residence status. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is one of the most popular options. It allows international students to apply for permanent residence if they have obtained at least one year of full-time work experience in Canada, as well as language proficiency and other criteria. Additionally, several Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) are available to help you gain permanent residence status through the nomination of your province.

  • What language tests are acceptable by Canadian schools for admission?

    A few language tests are acceptable by the schools in Canada, which include CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program), Academic IELTS, CAEL, Cambrian English, Duulingo English Test, Pearson Test of English, and TOEFL. Each schoul has its pulicy of accepting language tests from international students.

  • What is the Maximum Study Gap acceptable by Canadian culleges and universities?

    Conditions for study gap vary depending on the cullege and university. If you are applying to a cullege after 12th grade, a maximum of 2 years gap is advisable; if you are trying to apply for a PG Diploma program, there are schouls which accept a gap of up to 7 years, or ten years or even accept candidates with a gap more than that. In universities, they are not much concerned about the study gap if you meet all the criteria they set for admissions.

  • Can I apply for PR directly after my studies without any experience in Canada?

    There are provincial nominee programs for international students to apply for the PR process directly without any experience in Canada. You will need to meet the criteria that the province has set for the same. If you want to study in Canada under such programs, please submit the Student Assessment Form, and we will contact you and guide you through the process.

  • Are students allowed to bring their dependents to Canada?

    Yes. You can bring your spouse, children, or joint law partner to Canada. Your spouse would be eligible for an open work permit, and your kids would be eligible for a study permit. You can either submit their application along with your application or apply for them once you are in Canada.

  • What is the main difference between Universities and Colleges in Canada?

    Universities in Canada offer Bachelor's, Master's, and doctoral degrees and focus on analytical abilities with Professional and academic programs. In contrast, colleges in Canada offer PG Diploma programs, Undergraduate degrees like diplomas, Advanced Diplomas and certification programs which emphasize career training, employment skills and Trades.

  • What is the minimum IELTS requirement for a study program?

    For the PG Diploma program, 6.5 with an individual 6 is the requirement. The Master's IELTS requirement varies according to the schouls; for the Diploma program, individual six is advisable, and for the advanced Diploma, the requirement varies according to the program and cullege.

  • I have had five visa rejections in the past for Canada. Can I apply again?

    Reapplying for a rejected visa to Canada can be a difficult and time-consuming process. It is essential for individuals to thoroughly review their new application and confirm that all required documents are included before submitting. Additionally, seeking professional advice from our immigration lawyer or Immigration consultants can help ensure all necessary steps are taken to maximize the chances of approval.You will need to book a consultation with our immigration professionals to know your options to proceed.

  • I got a ban on my application for misrepresentation in 2014. Can I apply for a Canada study program or a visit visa now?

    It is possible to reapply for a study visa or Visit Visa after being denied due to misrepresentation. Still, the individual must wait until their ban period is over before submitting a new application. In addition, individuals must address any issues or concerns that led to the initial rejection and submit additional documentation to demonstrate their visa eligibility.

  • What is reconsideration?

    A reconsideration is a request to review a decision made by the Canadian government, typically regarding an immigration or visa application. A reconsideration can be requested if the applicant feels that their application was not properly assessed or if they have new information that may alter the outcome of their application.

  • How Can-America help in the visa reconsideration process?

    The applicant may be overwhelmed and confused when a visa application is refused. It can be challenging to know what to do next. Fortunately, Can-America Immigration can help you understand your options and determine the best action. One of the options available to applicants is to submit a Request for Reconsideration (RFR) to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This request is essentially a written appeal to reconsider the decision made by IRCC. It will be reviewed by an Immigration Officer.

  • Need Help Reapplying or Appealing Your Rejected Canadian Visa?

    When reapplying for a Canadian visa, addressing any issues that may have contributed to the initial refusal is essential. This could include providing additional documents or evidence to show why you are eligible for the visa. Additionally, ensure you fully understand the requirements and criteria to qualify for the visa before reapplying.

    Can-America helps with your visa application, and our experienced consultants are here to help guide you through the process. We will assess your documents and advise on how best to proceed if your visa is rejected or refused.

  • I want to apply for my PR with my girlfriend. Can I include her as my spouse?

    You cannot include a girlfriend in your application for the PR process. You can have your spouse, same-sex partner, and a common-law partner in your application.

  • Is it challenging to migrate to Canada under the PR category?

    To process your application under PR, you must meet some criteria set by IRCC for each kind of application. It depends upon your profile and connections to the country. You must do a free assessment with us to know your eligibility to apply for the PR process.

  • I have a criminal record for domestic violence and driving under the influence of alcohol. Can I apply for any visa to US or Canada?

    It is important to remember that having a criminal record or being convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol can impact your ability to obtain any visa to Canada. Depending on the severity of the offence, you will need to find out what options you have to overcome inadmissibility. It may be necessary to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation or a Temporary Resident Permit to be allowed entry into Canada.

  • Will Can-America provide any loan assistance?

    No, we are not providing any loan assistance. Loans are not considered or accepted as Proof of funds for Canada PR.

  • What is the minimum IELTS score for Canada PR?

    You must have at least a minimum score of individual 6 for each bank of IELTS for Express Entry and most of the provincial nominee programs.

  • When can I apply for citizenship once I get my Canada PR?

    Once you complete 1095 days in Canada as a PR in the last five years, you are eligible to apply for citizenship if you meet the rest of the criteria set for the citizenship application.

  • Does the French Language help me to get more scores for my PR process?

    Yes. Language proficiency in French helps you get an additional PR process score. Applying under Express entry will get 62 extra points in your EE profile. You should score a minimum of CLB-7 for each module in French to get the score.

  • PNP or Express Entry which one is better for me?

    You will need to do a free assessment with us to determine which program would suit you. Qualifying for a program depends on different factors such as age, qualification, experience, the profession that you have experience in, your IELTS score etc.

  • I have a kid with a medical condition. Can I apply for PR and include her in the application?

    Depending upon the seriousness of the medical condition, your kid might be inadmissible to Canada, which might result in the refusal of the whole family. To find out if there are any options to overcome the inadmissibility, your will need to book a consultation with us to discuss further the situation and how we could work on your application.

  • I have 24 backlogs. Can I apply for any study program?

    Yes. Only some universities in Canada accept backlogs. Once you can secure admission with the school while filing the visa, you must provide full supporting documents to convince the visa office why he should grant you a visa.

  • How long does it typically take to receive a decision on my Canadian permanent residence application?

    Express Entry application processing time is usually six months once you submit the complete set of applications to IRCC, and for PNP, it might take at least one to one and a half years or more.

  • What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT) refers to employment integral to an established curriculum, such as the paid internship employment that students engage in while in a graduate school work-study program. CPT is designed to give students practical experience in the workplace to supplement their work in the classroom.

  • What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

    Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows international students to work for up to one year after they graduate from their Master’s program in the USA. OPT is designed to help students gain practical experience in their field after graduation.

  • May I participate in both CPT and OPT?

    If you work for more than one year of full-time CPT, you may not be allowed to do the one year of OPT. However, international students can participate in both CPT and OPT at different times.

  • May I work in CPT while in my Master’s program?

    This varies depending on your school. Some schools allow you to engage in CPT for as long as you are enrolled in your Master’s program, no matter how long you are registered. However, if you choose to work full-time for more than a year in CPT, you may not be eligible for the additional year of OPT after you graduate, so you must check in with your school to determine their requirements.

  • Are credits transferrable between schools?

    Possibly. Your university may give credit for some courses you’ve already taken at another school if the other school is accredited and if the content of the course is roughly the same as one of the courses offered by your program. The Registrar at the school will make this decision when you arrive for registration.

  • May I transfer to a different university?

    You can transfer to another university, although your school may have specific limitations or requirements. You can find these in your school’s policy statements or catalogues

  • May I apply for a U.S. visa in my country of residence than in my home country?

    This will vary from one U.S. consulate to the next. Generally speaking, international students can apply for a visa in countries other than their own. However, you should check with the U.S. consulate in your country to make sure that they will allow you to apply.

  • May my spouse and/or children accompany me to the U.S.?

    Spouses and children are allowed to apply for a visa to accompany international students to the U.S. Your spouse (with children) may use it while you apply, or they may wait a few months until you have arrived and settled in the U.S.

  • If I have already applied for Diversity Immigrant Lottery and have been denied, can I obtain a student (F-1) visa to go to the U.S. to study?

    To receive a student visa (F-1), you must prove that you intend to return to your home country after graduation. If there is anything in your background that suggests that you do not want to return to your home country, your visa application may be rejected. If you have previously applied for the “lottery” immigrant visa, a visa officer may see this as an indication that your real intent is to immigrate rather than study. This may make getting an F-1 visa more difficult for you.

  • May I return to my country during the summer and then return to school for the fall quarter?

    Yes, most schools will allow a school break. You will be required to attend school full-time for two consecutive semesters (9 months and 18 credit hours) before you can take a vacation from your studies. However, some schools do not have summer breaks in their curriculum, so this will depend on your school.

  • If I have a two-year visa, does that mean I must get it extended before it expires?

    If you have a two-year visa, you can still return to your country at the end of two years. You may stay if necessary to finish your education in the U.S. The visa length refers to how long you must cross the border into the U.S.

  • If I am already in the U.S. on a B-1 visa, may I change to an F-1 student visa?

    A: It is much easier to change to an F-1 visa while you are in your own country. Changing your status to F-1 while you are already in the U.S. may take up to several months while the immigration service processes your application. Instead, take your I-20 form from your university to the consulate in your home country. You may apply for an F-1 student visa, and the visa officials will decide immediately. This way, there will be a smooth process before you start school and begin your paid internship.