Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) 

Canada is open to visitors and temporary residents worldwide, with more than 20 million visitors on average in a year. You might require a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) based on your nationality.

What is a TRV?

You should for a temporary resident visa to travel to Canada as a Visitor, worker, or student. If you are from a Visa-required country, A Temporary Resident Visa will allow a foreign national only to enter and remain in Canada as a tourist. Usually, a TRV is issued for multiple entries by the visa office listed in your passport. You must report to a CBSA officer to become a temporary resident upon arrival. Temporary residents may apply for a status change or extend their stay in Canada under some conditions. Typically, visa holders are approved for a multiple-entry visa, allowing them to leave and re-enter Canada without needing to reapply. 

If you are on the list of a visa-exempt country and traveling by air (if traveling over land, visa-exempt individuals may obtain approval to enter Canada temporarily at the Canadian border. 

TRV Validity

The duration of your Temporary Resident Visa would be either one day less than your passport validity or for a maximum of 10 years. 

Application for Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

To apply for a TRV, you must submit a completed application form to your country’s Canadian embassy or consulate with a list of documents required for your application. An interview with a visa officer may also be required. A CBSA officer at the Canadian port of entry makes the final decision.

Once your application is approved, you must enter Canada before the expiration date of your visa. When you enter Canada, an immigration officer at the port of entry can ask to see documents such as proof of financial report and your travel plans.

Processing of Temporary Residence Visa (TRV)

The processing time for a TRV will vary. It would be based on the country of citizenship and in which you have applied to process. The visa office will assess the application and establish required documents have been submitted. Once the application is approved, an immigration officer at the port of entry will decide whether to grant entry into Canada.

Extension for TRV

It is important to note that when applying for an extension of your TRV, you must do at least 30 days before your current visa expires. Your application will be assessed on the same criteria as when you applied for the original visa. You must still demonstrate that you are a genuine visitor who will leave Canada at the end of your stay and have enough funds to support yourself during your time in Canada. You can stay in Canada until the TRV expires if your extension application is approved. However, you must apply for a new TRV if you wish to stay longer.

TRV Validity and Change of Status

A TRV is valid for a predetermined period, usually six months, and can not be changed. However, suppose you decide to stay in Canada past the expiry date of your visa, you will need to apply for an extension or a change of status.

If you are looking to stay in Canada beyond the initial period of your TRV, you must apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. A PRV is a long-term visa that allows you to live and work in Canada. To qualify for a Permanent Resident Visa (PR), you must meet specific criteria, including sufficient funds to support yourself and your family upon arrival in Canada and meet the requirements of language, education, and work experience.

Study Permit

A study permit allows foreign nationals to study at designated educational institutions in Canada.

Visitor Visa

A nonimmigrant visa for a foreigner that allows entering the country for pleasure or business reasons for a limited time.

Super Visa

This is a multiple-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period of up to 5 years for parents of a permanent resident or a Candian Citizen.

Work Permit

A permit for a foreign national to work in Canada with or without conditions like working for a specific employer or period of work.